Skip to main content

Bending

 


Hi there,

I am still working on the scale model Qajaq. Even though it is a scale model, the process is nearly identical to the full-scale Qajaq. Ribs and cockpit hoops are also formed by bending the materials.


I boiled the rib material and bent it using a jig to scale. Of course, I made this jig as well. The fact that we have to make the props for the props ourselves is perhaps a big difference from CG animation. Yes, this is truly one of the best parts of making a Stop-motion animation for us.



It's not hard to bend these thin pieces of wood, but the problem is that once bent it's difficult to install them onto the gunwales. My fingers seem too thick to move freely between the gunwales. Oh, just to be safe, it is better to chamfer the rib material.



The cockpit hoop material is first boiled lightly, then wrapped around the "form". It is fixed with a stapler. Then boiled again and is drying now. 



You may be thinking, "This cockpit hoop is too big, isn't it?" hahaha, Indeed, this cockpit hoop is too large considering the overall balance of the frame. However, since the character itself is a deformed design, this is the correct size for the cockpit hoop.


By the way, you may have noticed that there are more "Contributors" on the right-hand side of this blog. Yes, because the number of staff members involved in this animation is increasing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Molding

Hello everyone. It's been quite a while since my last post. So sorry. For the past few months, I've been having trouble creating a "mold" for a character's face. In the end, it turned out as shown in the image, but I'm sure we'll encounter some difficulties as we continue working on it. However, I think that even this is part of the charm of stop-motion animation, right? 😁

Scale Model and Silicone Mold ver.2

Our test shoot went reasonably well, so we've been hard at work creating assets ever since. Recently, we welcomed a graduate of Tokyo University of the Arts as a member. It's very encouraging. However, since we are still a small team, it is inevitable that each person will have to handle multiple tasks at once. Currently I am making two scale models of kayaks, one for normal shooting and one for "distant view". Additionally, I am reworking the default mold for the main character. It is possible to mass-produce faces using the molds I made previously, but I didn't like them because they looked too distorted. This remake was a good experience for me in terms of getting used to working with silicone.  As for our future plans, once the main character is complete, I would like to do some more test shooting. I'm sure we'll be able to see some expressions there. I'm really looking forward to it. You may think that the production process is slow. But I'm n...

Qajaq Scale Model

Hi there, As previously mentioned, the main characters of this animation are child kayaker, so of course, kayak appear in the play. He carries it, paddles it, and rolls it too. I am building this scale model of a kayak as close to the actual process as possible. The parts are so small that it's quite difficult to work with. However, I believe that the challenges faced in "craftsmanship" are part of the joy, so I welcome these kinds of challenges. I might make scale models in several scales depending on each scene. Yes, it's relatively easy to arrange the materials and tools required. If you have a short holiday, give it a try. By the way, the tools I prepared are a model saw, a pin vise, wood glue, a needle and thread. I will eventually wrap this frame in fabric. I'm still thinking about the fabric. Usually, when Greenland Kayaks are wrapped in fabric or leather, the beauty of the frame is hidden, but in this animation I want to show the beauty of the frame, so I ...